News Policing

Attacker convicted for Alfred Squire Road assault

An attacker has been jailed for 11 years after vicious assault on his drinking companion.

Almost exactly 12 months ago, we reported on a 55 year-old man who was injured in an assault on Alfred Squire Road in Wednesfield.

The attack left the man, John Freer critically ill in hospital with serious head and facial injuries.

Yesterday, Mr Freer’s drinking ‘companion’ Glyn Evans was sentenced to 11 years in prison for the vicious attack in which he repeatedly stamped on Mr Freer’s head.

The Express & Star reports:

The pair had been on a drinking spree together when violence flared outside The Angel pub in Wednesfield High Street around 11pm on April 18 last year, explained Mr John Evans, prosecuting.

Mr Freer tried to defuse the situation but was knocked to the ground and brutally assaulted by 33-year-old Evans, who has a history of violence, the court heard.

CCTV film showed the attacker helping the victim to his feet and walking off with him before abandoning the man and running away, explained Mr Evans. Mr Freer was later found collapsed on waste ground near Wednesfield Police Station, the court heard.

Mr Evans, prosecuting, said: “He was choking and in a state very close to death. He had been kicked by the defendant who then stamped on his head up to four times,”

The victim suffered a double fracture of the jaw and a fractured right cheek bone in the attack. He spent several days in intensive care before being discharged from hospital a month later, but has since made a good recovery and still regards the thug who beat him up as a friend, it was said.

Mr Simon Hanns, defending, said: “This is a difficult and sad case. The two men had been out together, as they had before. They were an odd couple who had been drinking to excess.

“There was no premeditation. While they were out together there were a number of minor arguments. The explanation given by the defendant for the sustained assault was that Mr Freer had made an unfortunate comment about his mother but, even if true, that would not excuse the level of violence.”

Glyn Evans, an epileptic from no fixed address with previous convictions for assault and robbery, was found guilty of causing grievous bodily harm with intent by a jury after denying the offence at an earlier trial.

He was sent to prison by Judge Martin Walsh who told told him: “You launched a protracted, violent assault on a man with whom you had spent the afternoon and evening drinking. There has been no adequate explanation for this spontaneous act.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Skip to content