Cat poisonings on Ashmore Park

A warning to animal lovers about the dangers of anti freeze to cats.

After a recent spate of suspicious cat deaths in the WV11 area we are issuing a warning to all cat owners about the dangers of anti freeze to cats. It is important to be aware of how lethal this can be and what the symptoms are especially with the colder weather fast approaching.

Molly, the latest cat to fall victim died on Thursday last week and blood tests came back  positive for anti freeze poisoning that causes kidney failure in felines.

Pet owner Sarah Bould from Ashmore Park was devastated to hear the news, she said “It’s a horrible way for a family pet to die, made even worse to think someone could have done this deliberately.”

Senior Nurse Jody from Cavan Vets said; “There is a chemical in antifreeze that tastes very sweet to cats which is why they are attracted to it.  It is vitally important to act quickly is you suspect you cat has ingested antifreeze as immediate treatment is needed”

– You can contact Cavan on 01902 784 555 and if it is out of hours their answer machine will give you all the details for their emergency service supplied by St Georges Vets in the city.

There are several indicators that you pet may have been poisoned and these include;

  • The cat will appear intoxicated, stumbling, lack of coordination, dizziness & vomiting.
  • Excessive thirst.
  • Excessive urination.
  • Seizures
  • Vomiting

These symptoms last for approximately 12 hours after ingestion. After this, the cat may appear to recover. Approximately 12 – 24 hours after ingestion the following symptoms appear:

  • Rapid Breathing
  • Rapid heart beat
  • Lethargy
  • Anorexia

The cat in the picture has not fallen victim to anti freeze
image: dan /

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Skip to content